UWSA 2021-22 Opening Update
Over the last year, the UWSA has operated completely remote and online. We will continue to prioritize remote work but have some staff members working at the UWSA office.
In light of the current public health situation, the UWSA will continue to take precautionary measures essential to the safety of all students, staff, and the community. To prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus and the delta variant, we will continue to be closed to the general public, which is in line with the Vaccination Requirement to be on UWinnipeg Campus This Fall.
All non-essential UWSA services, services centres, offices, and events are closed to the general public until further notice.
Here is a list of all services that will be affected:
SERVICES AND SERVICE CENTRES
Info Booth will be open in September Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM-4:30 PM. Info Booth will not be accepting cash. Students can e-mail or call Info Booth staff about their Health Plan concerns at email@example.com and 204-786-9787. Please visit the Info Booth Page for more info.
UWSA U-Pass will not be active for the 2021-22 Academic Year school year. Students can purchase a Post-Secondary Semester pass at the UWSA Info Booth, Shoppers Drug Mart, and 7-Eleven at the rate of $283/semester. Read the full update here: UWSA U-Pass Program Update.
Advocacy services are being offered virtually and in person through your VP Student Affairs, Reza Saker Hossain, and the Services Manager, Binara Hewagamage. Please e-mail Reza Saker at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
Campaigns continue via our website and social media. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
UWSA Daycare is closed to the general public but operates as a childcare facility.
All in-person UWSA programming is either relocated or operating virtually until further notice. Here is the complete list:
- The UWSA Bike Lab is offering virtual programming. Students and community members can contact the Bike Lab Team via email or tune in to the weekly radio show ckuw.ca/programs/detail/outspoken. Email contact: Dave Dorning, Bike Lab Coordinator email@example.com
- The UWSA Foodbank is suspended on campus, and all student and community participants have been redirected and enrolled in other programs nearby. You can contact Harvest Manitoba to connect with your local food bank here:https://www.harvestmanitoba.ca/need-food/. Email contact: Christina Cook, Services Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
- The UWSA-UWinnipeg Safewalk program remains operational via UWinnipeg Security. Students and community members can access a SafeWalk or SafeRide by calling 204-786-9272 or emailing email@example.com
All UWSA Student Lounges are operating remotely and meeting virtually over Zoom, including:
- UWSA Access Lounge – Email: Thomas Hanan, Acting Access Lounge Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UWSA BIPOC Lounge – Email: Bonique Dawiskiba-Clark, BIPOC Lounge Coordinator, email@example.com
- UWSA Rainbow Lounge – Email: Ezi Raizen, Rainbow Lounge Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UWSA Women Trans-Spectrum Centre – Email: Cristina Ortega, Coordinator, email@example.com
We will be prioritizing virtual events for the safety of the public. Any in-person events will be held outdoors with masks while following the provincial health guidelines. UWSA spaces will be unavailable for booking until further notice.
For a list of University updates, please visit Campus Updates on COVID-19.
The UWSA looks forward to working with students in person, but we must remember we need to reduce the risk of COVID-19 and think of the well-being of students, staff, and the community. Thank you for your patience.
Please check our website for current and accurate updates on the situation and follow all government-recommended health, safety and travel guidelines outlined on UWinnipeg’s website.