Final Grade Appeals
Does your final grade add up? After final grades are posted on WebAdvisor, you have six weeks to submit an appeal. The VP Student Affairs can guide you through the process of appealing your grade if it meets at least one of the following criteria.
You have grounds to appeal your final grade if:
- Your final grade doesn’t include the marks you received on all individual items of work completed and submitted;
- The final grade does not correspond to the grades you received on course work, indicating a calculation error;
- Or if the overall assessment of your final grade is demonstrably unjust.
Your appeal must include:
- A copy (photocopy) of all course work which is subject to appeal;
- A written summary of the grounds for the appeal;
- All other relevant documentation (other class work or marked assignments)
A strong written appeal:
- Clearly states what you are appealing and the grounds for the appeal
- Includes relevant and correct information (dates, course information, etc.)
- Lays out a detailed, thoughtful, and logical case
- Provides all evidence and documentation relevant to supporting your case
- If external circumstances adversely affected your grade, be thorough and precise in explaining the circumstances and their impact
- Suggests a preferred remedy for the injustice
SUBMITTING YOUR APPEAL
You have up to six weeks to submit an appeal after the official notification of final grades from the Student Records Office. The deadline is on the WebAdvisor main menu.
To submit your appeal, you must see an Academic Advisor in Student Central for the appropriate form and to pay the processing fee ($45). The fee will be refunded if your appeal is successful. The Student Records Office will then submit your appeal to the appropriate Departmental Review Committee. The instructor will be informed of the appeal and the Student Records Office will notify you in writing of the Departmental Review Committee’s decision.
If you believe and can demonstrate that your appeal did not receive a fair hearing, you may appeal the decision on procedural grounds through the Academic Advising Office. The Senate Appeals Committee will consider your appeal and you will be notified of their decision in writing.
If you have questions about appealing your grade or want to make sure you have a strong written appeal, your Vice-President Student Affairs is there to help. Contact Reza Hossain at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the offices in the Bulman Student Centre to make an appointment.