Enrollment for full-time students is mandatory, as per the student referendum and legal Winnipeg City Council directive. There are exemptions that apply for some students.
Students who are being assessed U-Pass fees and who meet one of the following criteria may opt out of the program:
- A student who lives outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries
- A student who is registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind
- A student who is a Winnipeg Transit Employee
- A student who will be studying outside of Canada for more than sixty (60) days per term
- A student who will be participating in an internship, cooperative program, or research outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries for more than sixty (60) days per term.
- A student who holds a valid U-Pass from another post-secondary institution
- A student who is a registered Handi-Transit user
(Handi Transit users can use their U-Pass to access Handi Transit Services. This means Handi Transit users will be assessed the U-Pass fee each term they are full-time students. Handi Transit users do have the option to opt-out, as well.)
U-Pass Opt-Out & Appeal Application Deadlines:
Opt-Out Deadlines: Fall 2018: Sept 17, 2018 | Winter 2018: Jan 18, 2019
Appeal Deadlines: Fall 2018: Oct 17, 2018 | Winter Term 2018: Feb 25, 2019
To opt out, please fill and print this form and bring it to the UWSA Info Booth before the deadline. U-Pass Opt-Out Application
To appeal an opt-out, please fill and print this form, and bring it to UWSA Info Booth before the deadline: U-Pass Opt-Out Appeal Form
If you have missed the opt-out deadline, you can submit an appeal for consideration. Please fill out the Appeal Form listed below and submit to the UWSA Info Booth located in Centennial Hall on the first-floor before the appeal deadline.
If you have a question about your opt-out, you can email email@example.com