Emergency Community Food Resources
In order to protect the safety and health of students and community members and staff, the UWSA Foodbank will remain closed till the public health situation improves. However, as students deal with unprecedented challenges, food and income insecurity continue to rise.
Harvest Manitoba has helped us prepare a list of distribution centres across Manitoba where students and community members can access free emergency food and groceries.
If you need emergency food, please call Harvest Manitoba to book an appointment at your local food bank. You can reach them by phone or email.
In Winnipeg: New to Harvest Manitoba Phone: (204) 982 – 3671
Returning Clients to Harvest Manitoba Phone: (204) 982 -3660 Email: email@example.com
Outside Winnipeg: Phone: 1 (800) 970 – 5559 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Monday to Friday 9:15 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. Saturday 9:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
You will need the following information when calling:
- Six-digit Manitoba health number
- International Students: You don’t need a Manitoba Health Card to access the foodbank. Simply, keep your UWinnipeg Student Number handy.
Seniors and people living with disabilities can have food delivered to their residence via Harvest Manitoba by calling (204) 982–3660. Walk-ins service is not available, so please call before visiting a food distribution centre.
Other Winnipeg Community Resources
If you need supplemental food, the following soup kitchens are open and serving pre-packaged food.
- Agape Table 364 Furby St. Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Siloam Mission 300 Princess St. Monday – Sunday Breakfast: 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. (only for people staying overnight) Lunch: 12.30 p.m. – 1.30 p.m. Supper: 6.30pm – 7.30pm
- Manitoba Metis Federation Call for a hamper and have your MMF# ready. Delivery only. 150 Henry Ave. 65 & under: Call 204-589-4327 65 & over: Call 204-586-8474 (ext. 371)
- Missionaries of Charity 167 Aikins Street Take and Go: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday Breakfast: 9.30 a.m. – 10.45 a.m.
- West Central Women’s Centre 640 Ellice Ave. Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 12 – 1 p.m. (lunch and coffee until supplies last) Tuesday and Thursday: 5 – 6 p.m. (dinner and coffee until supplies last) Saturday: 10 – 11 a.m. (breakfast and coffee)
- Main Street Project 661 Main St. Thursday: 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
- Main Street Project (Shelter) 637 Main St. for men: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 a.m. 190 Disraeli Freeway for women: 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 a.m. First come first serve for overnight shelter.
- Union Gospel Mission 320 Princess Breakfast: 11 a.m. | Supper: 7 p.m. 50 people served each day Drop-in service provided from 2 – 4 p.m. from Monday-Friday for use of showers and food (if available). Maximum of twenty people every thirty minutes.
- Light House Mission 669 Main St. Monday – Thursday Breakfast: 9 – 11 a.m. | Lunch: 2 – 3 p.m. Friday: 1 – 2 p.m. | 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call 204-943-9669 for an emergency hamper.
- Salvation Army For residents only. Shelter units are currently full. 180 Henry Ave.
- Crossways in the Commons 222 Furby St. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Fridays: 11.30 – 3 p.m. Free lunches: 12:30 – 1.10 pm. Call 204-774-2773 to arrange an appointment for emergency hampers after-hours.
- Bear Clan Den 563 Selkirk Ave. Call 204-219-1052 Changes every day depending on the supplies they receive so call ahead.
- North Point Douglas Women’s Center 221 Austin St. N Wednesday & Friday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., 1 – 4 p.m.
Thursday: 1 – 4 p.m. Saturday: 1 – 5 p.m. Non-perishable food hampers and feminine hygiene products are also available.
- The Welcome Home 188 Euclid Ave. Wednesday: 10 a.m. onwards 20 food hampers distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis. Bagged lunches after that.
- North End Women’s Center 394 Selkirk Ave. Monday-Friday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. or until they run out Bagged lunches, hygiene products, pads, clean needles and new-born diapers available.
- Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Center Emergency kits with food (bagged lunches, fruit, juice box & granola bar), baby supplies (diapers, formula, baby cereal & baby food jars, basic needs (toilet paper, feminine products, shampoo, conditioner & soap). Deliveries only Monday to Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Request kits by calling McGregor location 204-925-0330/6816 Or, Spence location 204-925-0352 or 204-925-0348
- Macdonald Youth Services (ages 13-21) 159 Mayfair Ave. Call: 204-477-1804 (within Winnipeg), 1-888-477-1804 (outside Winnipeg) Offering food, shelter, shower, and laundry
- Daniel Mcintyre/ St Matthews Community Association 823 Ellice Ave. Monday – Friday: 2 – 6 p.m. Take-out window for drinking water, snacks, hygiene supplies, feminine products, safer sex protection, clean needles socks & service referrals. Ring the doorbell out front for service.
- Feed My Lambs 117 Euclid Ave. Friday: 3:30 p.m. Food-hamper distribution on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Andrews Street Family Centre 220 Andrews St. Emergency food, diapers & formula available with MB health card. Meals served Monday – Friday: 12 – 2 p.m.
- Salvation Army Weetamah 324 Logan Ave. Bread every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 11 a.m. Washrooms available: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.