Enrollment for full-time students is mandatory, as per the student referendum and legal Winnipeg City Council directive. There are exemptions that apply for some students.
Students who are being assessed U-Pass fees and who meet one of the following criteria may opt out of the program:
- A student who lives outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries
- A student who is registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind
- A student who is a Winnipeg Transit Employee
- A student who will be studying outside of Canada for more than sixty (60) days per term
- A student who will be participating in an internship, cooperative program, or research outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries for more than sixty (60) days per term.
- A student who holds a valid U-Pass from another post-secondary institution
- A student who is a registered Handi-Transit user
(Handi Transit users can use their U-Pass to access Handi Transit Services. This means Handi Transit users will be assessed the U-Pass fee each term they are full-time students. Handi Transit users do have the option to opt-out, as well.)
U-Pass Opt-Out & Appeal Application Deadlines:
Opt-Out Deadlines: Fall 2017: Sept 18, 2017 | Winter 2018: Jan 17, 2018
Appeal Deadlines: Fall Term 2017: Oct 18, 2017 | Winter Term 2018: Feb 16, 2018
If you have missed the opt-out deadline, you can submit an appeal for consideration. Please fill out the Appeal Form listed below and submit to the UWSA Info Booth located in Centennial Hall on the first-floor before the appeal deadline.
If you have a question about your opt-out, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org