Enrollment for full-time students is mandatory, as per the student referendum and legal Winnipeg City Council directive. There are exemptions that apply for some students.
Students who are being assessed U-Pass fees and who meet one of the following criteria may opt out of the program:
- A student who lives outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries
- A student who is registered with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind
- A student who is a Winnipeg Transit Employee
- A student who will be studying outside of Canada for more than sixty (60) days per term
- A student who will be participating in an internship, cooperative program, or research outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries for more than sixty (60) days per term.
- A student who holds a valid U-Pass from another post-secondary institution
- A student who is a registered Handi-Transit user
(Handi Transit users can use their U-Pass to access Handi Transit Services. This means Handi Transit users will be assessed the U-Pass fee each term they are full-time students. Handi Transit users do have the option to opt-out, as well.)
*U-Pass Opt-Outs for the 2016/17 academic year WILL NO LONGER be accepted. The opt-outs closed Jan. 31, 2017.
If you have a question about your opt-out, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org